Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hunger Games Connection to Ancient Rome?!?


Hello world! In my history class, we are learning about Ancient Rome. And as my teacher is talking about Caesar and the Roman Republic and all that stuff, I am sitting there noticing connections to the book The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.
Now, those of you who have read the book are probably thinking, That makes no sense. The Hunger Games is set in 2675 or something. Ancient Rome is... ancient. Well, you're right.
Those of you who haven't read the book are probably thinking, Ok, great. Why do I care? Well, you care because The Hunger Games is one of the best books ever written.
For the sake of the people who've never heard of the book, I'll give you a little overview. It's about a girl named Katniss living in a post-apocalyptic world where a few kids from each district are forced to fight each other to the death in the Hunger Games for the entertainment of the evil Capitol and the horror of the districts. Sounds great, right?
Alright, now to explain the connections.
First, the Hunger Games are a lot like the gladiator games, where innocent slaves fought each other to the death. While this entertained the Romans, it terrified the slaves. Sounds kind of familiar, huh?
Second, the Romans had sort of a show-no-mercy attitude, like President Snow and President Coin.
Third, there was a man with the name of "Cinna" helped plan and carry out Julius Caesar's assassination. When an angry mob went off to find and kill him, they ended up murdering Helvius Cinna, an innocent poet. I thought this was similar to the part in Catching Fire, when the mob kills Cinna.
Fourth, in the First Punic War, the Romans found a Carthaginian war ship, and replicated it, kind of like how District 13 finds some of the Capitol's technology and replicates it.
I know that's not a lot of connections, but I thought the Cinna one was interesting.
Cheerio!

Peace, Love, and Crazy Connections

4 comments:

  1. Those are such great connections! Kudos! You're just so awesome, I swear... :) Keep making connections like this, and you'll have the whole world wrapped around your finger. I love Rome, and I'm going to read "The Hunger Games" this summer. I can't wait- now I'll be thinking of Rome! Haha
    Love,
    Your cuz,
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i remember that
    also the announcer guy from the games is named Caeser

    ReplyDelete
  3. i no what u mean but cinna was killed in interigation. thats wat the told katniss in 13. he was just beat in the launch room to hurt katniss. by the way i love ur blog i read about it on ricks blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see what you mean...Also Cinna helped plot the "death" of Snow by making that dress for Katniss-he helped in the effort to turn more people to the Mockingjay which was one of the reasons and steps to the murder of President Snow.

    I love the Hunger Games! Also you're blog is really interesting

    ReplyDelete